What is Public Housing?
Public Housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for low-income to moderate-income families, elderly persons and persons with disabilities. The U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers federal aid to local housing agencies to manage the housing for residents at affordable rents.
How Do I Apply
1. Applications are taken every Thursday at our main office from 8am to 4pm unless otherwise noted by the Authority.
2. To apply applicants must:
* Be 18 years of age or older
* Provide Social Security cards, birth certificates for all household members and picture identification on adults (18 yrs. and older) – must provide at initial appointment
* Provide marriage certification or divorce decree -must provide at initial appointment
* Provide child custody papers – must provide at initial appointment
3. Eligibility and Suitability may be determined by:
* Criminal background check through local police or FBI
* Former landlord references/history
* Credit history
* Verification of Income and other resources
4. Rent is based on Adjusted Income or flat rent
5. Allowances are deducted from gross income for:
* Full time students over the age of 18
* Child care expense when applicable
* Ongoing medical expenses for Disabled/Handicapped/Elderly that are paid out of pocket
6. There is normally a 1 to 2 week waiting period for verification to be returned to the Housing Authority
7. The applicant family is made eligible or ineligible according to policy and the family is notified
8. The Family is offered the available unit
9. Security deposits and pro-rata rent are due upon move in
10. Utility service must be acquired by the resident in their name prior to obtaining the key to their new apartment home
Canton Housing Authority
Our Main Office:
1400 Oakside Drive #76
Canton, GA 30114
Darnell & Thompson, P.C.
896 Legacy Park Drive, Suite 201. Lawrenceville, GA 30043. 770-237-2986
Kendall L. Davis, P.C.
P.O. Box 209. Hazlehurst, GA 31539. 912-375-6077
I.Stewart Duggan, Esq.
Brinkson Askew Berry
615 West First Street
Post Office Box 5007
Rome, Georgia 30162 - 5007
(706) 291 - 8853
(706) 234-3574 Telefax