History

In 1937, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) charged communities with the development of affordable housing in order to provide “decent, safe, and sanitary housing for low and moderate income families.” In 1964, Shipp Street and Jefferson Circle Homes were established. Oakside Drive Homes was constructed in 1982. The Canton Housing Authority administers 145 subsidized apartments.